Wednesday 18 February 2009

SEO Connections



Firstly - Be prepared I will be asking you to contribute to this blog, so read to the end....

I have just come back from a very interesting meeting with some Internet Marketing friends of mine, we were discussing different approaches to get traffic to both our sites and the sites of our customers.
There were some interesting conversations flying around the table, some were tried and tested on page SEO like making sure you have a good description of what the page is about in the title of your page as opposed to your company name etc.

It also came up in conversation that most people who have a website or have had one designed for them, do not have some of the most basic optimisation within their site, we still see page titles such as "Home" or "Welcome". The title of every page in your site is some of the most precious SEO Real Estate you can have and to waste it on "home" which the search engines are going to have no Idea what that page is relating to is poor.

Anyway, I decided the very next article I post to my blog will be a 10 point strategy to put all the basic SEO elements into you site.  So look out for that!!!

But I did have another Idea


I get a lot of emails from people who subscribe to the newsletter, asking questions on SEO and other Internet Marketing matters. I also get some ideas from you every so often, some of those ideas are great, so I thought I would set you a little challenge, that would also help a lot of other people as well.

What you need to do:

If you have an idea, it does not matter if it's a tried and trusted rule of SEO. Don't forget there are people who read this blog who are just starting up and would love to see a comment from you even if' it's been covered before. Post it to this blog!!

In fact I encourage you to put down either an Idea to boost traffic to your site or a favorite which should not be forgotten.

Let's share these ideas out amongst us all, I will add comments as I go. so get posting.

Any ideas will be appreciated by the whole community.

I look forward to seeing them posted here or to my email. Don't forget to Sign your post and include your own web site address
Important:: Put your website address in the body of the text

All the best

Andy Phillips

12 comments:

  1. One way I get people visiting my site is through networking extensively. I hand out cards and flyers and get a lot of people signing up to my newsletter because of it. This is an off page idea but I hope it helps
    Raj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    Great blog, thank you! I get people to my site by making sure I've done my keyword research, so what people are looking for and then answering it on my site.

    Keep well
    Cemanthe
    The Small Business Angel
    http://smallbusinessangel.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy

    I'm not nearly as skilled as I should be in the world of SEO. So I'll keep tuning in to your blog to pick up some tips.
    I've recently started a blog for the Yorkshire Property Network which I hope will now attract some traffic!!

    Cheers mate

    Andrew

    http://yorkshirepropertynetwork.blogspot.com/
    Andrew@vantageinvestmentproperty.co.uk
    www.vantageinvestmentproperty.co.uk
    www.wakefieldrestorations.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Andy

    Great idea for your blog.

    If you don't mind once you write the article, I will add it to my site with a link to your site as well :o)

    When I first got someone to create my website nearly 5 years ago, I had absolutely no clue whatsoever. So I had a graphic designer design the pages for me and a web developer create it. It looks really lovely, but what I didn't know is that if the buttons are images, the spiders can't get through them and so hardly any traffic is sent to my site as they are stopped by the picture links. So my advice to anyone starting a website is to make sure the buttons on your site are made from text and not images.

    Also if you are using a database to "pull" the information to a search page, make sure you also have static pages with the same information on it. Search engines can't read databases, they can only read text.

    Hope this helps

    Jane Finch

    http://www.wealthcreationonline.co.uk
    http://blog.wealthcreationonline.co.uk
    http://www.movingetc.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane

    Great Post, making some very good points. I think we have to understand what the search engines do when they send a spider to your site. As you pointed out, they can’t read graphics. A further point is that they can't read Flash. I did some analysis on a client’s site that used flash buttons to navigate. It looked nice, but there was absolutely no other links to any of the sites pages, so the spiders only saw her first index page, so we took the flash navigation out and put text based navigation in and also uploaded an sitemap.xls and hey presto, people started calling her and a few more sign ups.

    Thanks for the offer of a link; we will take you up on that

    All the best

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andy,

    I got the hang of these SEO's now and the reasons why we need to understand and utlise the benefits around them...but in true Rich Dad fashion I like the fact that I can rely on your help and guidance in these matters.

    You ran the sound for our Rich Dad CASHFLOW events superb as well. I know the big boys from the USA appreciates how easy it was to work with you.

    I must say though friend - the photo is rather sexy...!!

    Seriously though, thanks for your help with this internet stuff - it's a great help to me and we are getting some great feedback from our clients about it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andy,

    Great Blog post and what a fantastic way for some "free" SEO. As you know I founded and Host http://www.LeedsPropertyNetworking.com - a fantastic resource for Not Just Property Networking, but also recommended business partners (both property & non-property), other Property Networking events around the UK and News, Articles and Opportunities.

    This is turning into a self-marketing post - but I thought that was the idea!!!

    One of my main focuses now is helping people and businesses save money on their everyday expenditure - this 3-minute online DVD shows exactly how this works:
    http://www.YourUtilitySavings.co.uk. Let me know what you think?

    Keep up the good work Andy...

    Mike Entwistle
    Leeds Property Networking - Not Just Property Networking
    http://www.LeedsPropertyNetworking.com
    http://www.YourUtilitySavings.co.uk



    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It also helps if you can type the correct URL!!!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea Andy,

    As well as leaving links on your site to increase their own exposure, it improves your SEO stats too, with having more info and links. It is a 2-way street and sometimes the take mentality will stop people leaving comments, as you frequently get on forums.

    When you realise that giving is just as important and every little helps in Web 2.0, you will find that when adding value to a conversation or someone else's surfing, they will come and find you as well.

    All the best and catch up soon,
    Bobby
    www.bobbygill.co.uk

    --------

    You can find more info about me at my Blog on Property, Business and Personal Development at www.bobbygill.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Andy,

    Thank you for your support and encouragement.
    I am still new to all this online social marketing as being a people person I tend to enjoy actually being with people and networking. That has been my main source of promotion. However, my recommendation is to work with the experts like Andy and others who know their business like the back of their hands and as advised focus on doing what I am good at!

    Well done Andy!

    Lots of love

    Vivien

    www.windowsofwealth.com
    www.newleaf-homes.com
    T: 0845 873 2509
    E: vivienwhite@windowsofwealth.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. New bloggers do not know what is SEO ??? and what they can achieve through this so I tried my best to let you know completely each every point about SEO.

    seo leeds

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment